Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Technology Integration

It is fascinating the way some teachers and schools use technology in their classrooms.  I think way back to my K-12 years and realize that I had only the most minimal experience with technology in school.  In fourth grade, we obtained one of those large computers for the class.  The only thing we used it for was to play the Oregon Trail game once a week.  Once I got to middle school, I actually had a computer class (of which I remember nothing).  Luckily in high school, we were offered a little more exposure to them.  Unfortunately, even with that exposure, the computer or other forms of technology were never used in classrooms the way it is today. 


The Edutopia website is full of videos showing amazing teachers doing amazing things!  Most specifically, I enjoyed Nicole Dalesio's video from the Tech2Learn series. She is integrating as much of the curriculum she can, into something that her students are excited about in order to create meaningful learning.  I was in awe when I watched some of the things her students were doing; and to be perfectly honest, I was nervous.  After watching this video, I feel pretty far behind when it comes to technology.  I have no idea the true capabilities of a computer;but these 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders do.  They are using IMovie to discuss math concepts and turning personal narratives into videos.  They are collaboratively learning.  They are doing exactly what teachers hope they will do.  I have a lot to learn before I get my own classroom.  I want what Ms. Dalesio wants for her students; and I know that it can be done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment